Transformational Leadership and Effective Teams, Example
This article explains how transformational leadership has been applied to a global business in Greater China region. But first what is transformational Leadership?
Transformational leadership is essential for addressing any organizational challenge and it is not only about having a great vision and being inspirational. It is much more and it relates a lot on how you inspire and mobilize your Team(s) to embrace the vision and execute together. The top 3 characteristics of Transformational Leadership are:
- Connect with your feelings and with others
- Be curious and open minded
- Be inspiring through telling relevant stories
In the specific case we have had to deal with a multicultural management team. This was 1 big subsidiary in China of a global manufacturing company with Asian headquarters in Hong Kong.
Our assignment was:
“We are planning to grow this business fast, we will depend on this team more and more for our global operations and consequently this team needs to improve dramatically their Team Spirit, FLOW and CAN DO attitude as fast as possible”.
We agreed to create the Transformation with a 2 days workshop and that was our approach:
1. As everything starts with knowing yourself and others we started with all participants completing an online profiling questionnaire to be carried out 10 days before the workshop.
2. Then we started the 2 day workshop by explaining the various personalities and how they interact with each other. At the end of the first day every participant knew well their strengths and best roles in life as well as they understood well others in the team.
3. As the team had a few different cultures we explained key differences among the cultures to facilitate faster understanding and better communication among the team members which would be essential for the rest of the workshop.
4. The next step was to put in practice what we learned with team exercises to identify and eliminate blocks and increase TRUST & FLOW among the Team members.
Here ended the first day followed from a social dinner with a lot of interaction and fun. This is essential especially for relationship based cultures which are the majority in Asia.
5. The second day started with 1 experiential Team building exercise as well as ensure people understand each other’s challenges or successes by being curious, open minded and sharing stories/examples to explain their challenges & successes as well as learn from each other to create FLOW in practice.
6. After the previous 5 steps are completed the Team is open and ready to work to achieve company goals. Based on previously shared vision and objectives/goals they worked together in multi-functional teams and created a strategy and action plan to deliver the necessary results.
After the 2 days the participants and management were not only very satisfied with great testimonials but checking with management 1 month later their response was that the team spirit, attitude and performance has improved dramatically.
Conclusion: The above described process is the application of Transformational Leadership principles in a TEAM aiming to become effective and achieve the needed business results:
An effective team like the one created after the 2 days workshop has the following characteristics:
- They have a clear purpose
- They practice shared leadership
- They understand their strengths and others
- They have open and honest conversations
- They Trust each other and create Flow
Do you have such teams? Do you need such teams?
“Business Dynamics” is the methodology/system explained above that ensures Transformational Leadership is understood and implemented effectively across the organization
If Interested to apply in your Team or Company please contact me at email@example.com
Thank you very much.
If you like the subject please share and follow me to read more articles.
Mike Mastroyiannis is Business, Management & Executive Coach and Management Consultant for among others Transformational Leadership, Business Transformations, Exponentially Disruptive Innovations. He has served as CEO of business units in Multinationals, founded or lead start-ups and serves in advisory boards. He can be reached through LinkedIn or email firstname.lastname@example.org